Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 66000629
Historic Name FORT SILL HISTORIC DISTRICT
Description of Significance NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK. THE OLD POST DISTRICT AT FORT SILL CONSISTS OF THE ORIGINAL FORTIFICATIONS CONSTRUCTED IN THE 1870S AND 1880S BY THE US ARMY. THE FORT WAS FOUNDED IN 1869 IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE KIOWA-COMANCHE AGENCY. THE BUILDINGS WERE CONSTRUCTED BY TROOPERS OF THE 10TH CAVALRY - THE BUFFALO SOLDIERS. THE OLD POST AT FORT SILL WAS AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE PACIFICATION PROGRAM OF THE US GOVERNMENT DIRECTED AT THE SOUTHERN PLAINS INDIANS. DESIGNATED AN NHL AND LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 10/15/66.
Current Name
Address
City FORT SILL
County COMANCHE
Lot N/A
Block N/A
Current Section N/A
Township N/A
Range N/A
Type DISTRICT
Historic Function MILITARY FACILITY
Current Function MILITARY FACILITY
Area Signficance 1 MILITARY
Area Significance 2 EXPLORATION/SETTLEMENT
Date Prepared 1966
Year Built
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder US ARMY
Architectural Style
Roof Material WOOD SHINGLE
Wall Material STONE
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details
Condition GOOD
Comments THREE STORY BUILDING WITH BASEMENT. ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED AS ENLISTED ARTILLARY BARRACKS,LATER MODIFIED INTO ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE SPACE
Restricted N